It is a common saying that ‘failing to prepare is preparing to fail.’ This rings true for birth, too! When the big day arrives, it’s important to have all the necessary items ready to go in your hospital bag. Packing your hospital bag for birth can be challenging, so here are some essentials and tips to help get you ready.
The number one item you’ll need to make sure you have is your phone and charger. That way, you can contact your family and friends to let them know you’re in labor. Additionally, here are some other items you should bring:
- Any forms or paperwork related to your prenatal care and delivery (i.e. birth plan)
- Comfortable clothing, including nightgowns, robes, and slippers
- Toiletries, such as toothbrush, toothpaste, face wash, and shampoo
- Hair ties or headbands
- Snacks and drinks
- Nursing bras, underwear, and nipple cream (if breastfeeding)
- Camera or video camera
Packing your hospital bag for birth doesn’t have to be hard – follow these tips for a smoother packing process:
- Keep the bag light so you don’t have to lug a heavy bag into the hospital.
- Pack your hospital bag a few weeks before your estimated due date—you never know when baby will actually arrive!
- Pack a separate bag for your partner so they’re prepared, too.
- Bring any items that could help make you feel comfortable. For example, bring a body pillow or your own blankets.
- Remember: if you forget something, you can always ask a family member or friend to bring it to the hospital.
Packing your hospital bag for birth is an exciting experience. Seeing everything laid out in front of you is a sure reminder that your little one will be arriving soon!