Maternal Mental Health is an often overlooked but extremely important component of any mother’s health during and after pregnancy. It’s normal to experience feelings of sadness, fear, or stress during this period, but if these feelings last for too long or become more intense, it could be a sign of a problem. Taking care of yourself both emotionally and physically is essential for both you and your baby. Here are some tips for prioritizing self-care as a mother:
- Get Enough Rest – Aim for around 8 hours of sleep each night. Take naps when you can and use the night time to refuel.
- Make Time for Yourself – Find ways to make time for yourself, even if it’s just 15 minutes a day. Do something you enjoy or take a walk outside for some fresh air.
- Eat Well – Eating nutritious foods is essential, especially while pregnant. Load up on fruits and vegetables, as well as lean proteins. Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
- Stay Connected – Build a support system by connecting with other moms or joining a support group. You don’t have to go through this alone.
- Seek Professional Help – If you’re feeling overwhelmed or depressed, seek professional help such as a therapist or counselor.
Taking care of yourself is just as important as taking care of your baby. Prioritizing self-care during and after pregnancy will help you to be in the best mental and physical shape.