It’s easy to become so overwhelmed by the many tasks of parenting that quality time with your baby can be forgotten. Playing, talking and cuddling with your baby is invaluable to both you and your little one. Spending meaningful moments together not only strengthens your bond but can also help your child’s development. Research has shown that babies crave interaction as it assists them in learning the basics of communication.
So, how do you make sure you’re spending quality time with your baby? Here are a few tips that can help:
- Commit to making time – decide on a set amount of time each day that you will spend exclusively with your baby. This could be during a feeding or playtime.
- Get on their level – getting down to your baby’s eye level helps you connect at their level. It also helps them process information better; they respond more positively when they feel understood.
- Be there – simply being there for your baby can be enough. Your presence alone can have a positive effect on them.
- Talk to them – even if your baby isn’t talking yet, they are listening. Responsive talk helps your baby establish trust and security.
- Play games – babies love repetition and imitating adults. Play peek-a-boo, patty cake and other simple games.
- Introduce music – singing nursery rhymes, playing CDs and instruments all help to stimulate your baby’s senses.
Even though your baby may not be able to express it, your dedicated attention will mean a lot to them. Quality time can be beneficial to both parents and babies alike, so don’t forget to put aside special time for just you two!